Thursday 16 April 2020

Going With the Flow

Hello! How's everyone doing?

I thought I would be doing lots of writing on this blog but it turns out that's not the case. I just haven't felt like it. Just like I've not felt like making artisan bread, doing online yoga and pilates classes, finishing all my sewing and knitting projects, learning a new language and cutting my own hair. Some days it feels an achievement just to get through to the end of the day but I'm learning to go with the flow and do what I feel like doing rather than what I feel I should be doing.

The lovely weather over the Easter weekend made me feel like tackling a garden project and this bench seat was in dire need of some restoration. I managed to scrounge a couple of pieces of sandpaper from a friend when I was delivering her shopping to her doorstep... she threw them at me from a safe distance. And fortunately there was enough paint left in the can from when it was first painted many years ago.


I have the same aversion to sandpaper as I do to sandy beaches but I persevered and a couple of coats later it is almost as good as new. I managed to paint the dog's ear to match but we won't mention that. I had to have a sit down and pour myself a glass of Prosecco as a reward!



We also managed to organise a family zoom call on Easter Sunday with all six grown up children and various partners plus the two grandchildren... although the six week old stayed asleep on his Mum's lap throughout. It was lovely to see everyone together. I know I'm not the only one to be missing the family.


Silly hats/masks were optional... as was the green paint up the arm. It came off eventually.


This week has been a slow burn but I have made scrub bags for the NHS from an old flat sheet.


And masks for us too...


Although I regretted mentioning that on social media as it seems everyone has an opinion as to their usefulness. I agree they offer no protection to the wearer but the general opinion seems to be (and this is from a couple of nurse friends) they help prevent passing the virus on. It also stops me touching my face when I'm at the supermarket and hopefully gives some sort of reminder to others to keep their distance. Although I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who have no concept of two metres. One chap actually brushed past me at least three times yesterday, close enough that I could have punched him. I was very tempted and I've been googling cattle prods since coming home!


I also quite like the Dick Turpin look and feel like I'm about to hold up a bank!

 I have been drawing pages into my art journal on a regular basis which I'm hoping we'll look back on one day when all this is a distant memory. It seems like a good way to keep a record of what we are going through, both the good and the bad. I don't think you can watch the video of my pages here but it is on my Facebook page and Instagram


Anyway... that's what I've been up to. Now if you excuse me I'm off to take my advance yoga class whilst brushing up on my Cantonese. Actually no...  I don't feel like it so will probably pour a glass of something and see what's on the telly!

Stay home, stay well everyone!

10 comments:

  1. I have 2 masks made by my quilting neighbour across the road. At least the bright colours and pretty patterns lift the mood.

    Saw some doctors (on FB) wearing masks supporting The Owl Project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rejuvenated garden seats look lovely (as does the glass of Prosecco). There is a lot of conflicting evidence regarding face masks but wearing them properly won't do anyone any harm and may do some good. Yours are cheerful and happy and I am sure they brighten up anyone's day a little when they see you. An Easter virtual meeting sounds fun. We are quite hopeless really with family gatherings, before the pandemic and now... I did join a 50th Birthday Zoom chat though, and that was fun. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be a lot of pressure to do all the things because we have so much time on our hands and somedays the enormity of the whole situation is exhausting enough!
    I wouldn't rob any banks though with your bright mask on Gina, they'd spot you a mile off, you'd never get away with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a beautiful job on your garden bench. It looks very smart now.
    I haven't got a mask but probably could fashion one from a scarf, but I don't really need one as my son does my shopping for me.
    I think you are wise to choose to do the things you want to do. It is not a time for putting more pressure on oneself. Enjoy the things that give you pleasure. Stay safe, both of you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden bench looks wonderful, and the weather is good enough for it to get some use. I hear you on the not wanting to do all these free things that are available online, I am glad you feel the same. I was starting to think that I was being a humbug about it all. I too have been making scrub bags this week a better use of my time I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bench looks beautiful. I'm thinking of carrying a broom handle - carefully measured to be 2 metres- whenever I go out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cattle prod idea sounds good Gina. People trolling along with no concept of distance is irritating. I love the bench colour. My husband has just finished painting the fence so I'm hoping there's enough to do the garden table.Zoom gatherings have been a godsend to us. Last weekend we had a group quiz organised by our daughter and son-in-law. Great fun with family around the world and a lot of light relief. Something we all need at the moment.Your masks made me feel a bit brighter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the paint job! And I do like a colour co-ordinated dog. Know what you mean about some people's inability to keep a distance. It's those out for a run who suddenly zoom past your left lughole, huffing and puffing, that annoy me. Wish I'd asked Father Christmas for a taser gun. You wear your mask well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the revamped bench. I have similar jobs to do but not got around to them as yet. I am a keyworker so still travelling to the hospital everyday its quite surreal. Like you say even more strange when you venture into the supermarket. I try and go on my way into work when there is only me and a few other early starters in the shop.
    Take care

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you're staying good and busy Gina. The new little bench turned out great! I've had great intentions to do some online yoga, but I just can't seem to get motivated, so I'm baking a birthday cake for my sister this afternoon LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.