Saturday 9 March 2019

Upcycling

About three years ago I picked up three old kitchen chairs in a charity shop. The intention at the time was to do wonderful things with them but then three years went past... and I didn't do anything with them!


So, last week in the midst of sorting out and packing (even though we still don't have an actual moving date) I decided it was time to tackle my little upcycling project and the chairs were given a couple of coats of chalk paint, waxed and then rubbed down to give a distressed look. You've got to love paint that doesn't require any rubbing down or preparation first.


While I was about it I also got the first coat on an old pine blanket box. There is method in my madness as the intention is that this will hold my stash of knitting yarn in our new living room so it does almost come into my sorting out regime. And I couldn't live with that aged yellow varnish.


I then recovered the seat with some appliqued and embroidered fabric...


And hey presto... my new upcycled chair (other two still to finish!)
I was wondering whether to make a set of six but at the rate I'm going it will be another fifteen years before I finish them all!


I was spurred on to get at least one finished though as I am away teaching at Misssenden Abbey this weekend where we are making collaged fabric to turn into bags.


And I thought it would be fun to show how the fabric can be used in different ways


Almost too nice to sit on!

Sorry I haven't been replying to comments again... for some reason Google lets me type out a comment, I hit publish and then nothing appears... so frustrating! But I do read them all and enjoy hearing from you.

17 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, you've transformed the chair, and I love the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few projects like that hanging around too. I get these big ideas, but never seem to have time to complete them. The chair looks fabulous. You are such a creative person. Love seeing what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Много весели комбинации!Поздрави!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chairs are a triumph and I love the blanket box. I hope you will show it again when you have painted it. The bags are so pretty and vibrant - your students will have such fun making their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you have done with the chairs - so pretty. Bags are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you stop inspiring my thoughts please :D I think I have enough to do and much I don't get on with. Seriously though that chair and those bags look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your upcycled chair. Chalk paint is terrific isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your chair, too beautiful to sit on really :-) I hope you get a chance to make the other ones. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspiring for your next batch of students to see the chair ... for their next project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the chair was well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job on the chair. I've tried using that paint, with much less success than you. And the bags are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is much more inspiring than downsizing! I love all the fabrics and the chair looks fantastic.XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou for your comment Gina, I love your new chairs and the bags are gorgeous! There's nothing I find more satisfying then renovating old furniture, that is, once I've finished! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the chair and the bags but detest AS paint! Hope you get a chance to finish the projects before the move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fabric looks amazing as a seat or a bag, such colourful designs. x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.