Wednesday 15 August 2018

A Fishy Tale

I have not eaten meat for over twenty years... if you don't count the half a sausage I had at a barbecue last month in the absence of any alternative. I don't really have any moral objection, hence the sausage, I just stopped eating it as a result of taking one of my children to a town farm where there was a chicken shed. These were meant to be humanely kept chickens but the smell was so disgusting I stopped eating chicken from that day onwards. I gradually stopped eating other meats and I find I generally prefer vegetarian food. But I cook meat and I've always eaten fish and sea food so I have never called myself vegetarian. But until recently I have never eaten octopus... ever.

When we were in Greece my daughter-in-law's mother asked did I like octopus. There may have been something lost in translation in that Maria's English, although good, was a bit rusty and my Greek is... well, non existent shall we say. So I ended up trying some delicious little white cubes of fish... yes, I like octopus.  So when we were out with friends last week and one of the starters was octopus on a bed of smoked aubergine puree and everyone else was waxing lyrical about it I decided 'Yes, why not, after all I like octopus'.

However, I wasn't prepared for the creature from the deep that was dished up on my plate... it was a dirty great tentacle for heavens sake. It looked like it might crawl off the plate and wrap itself around my neck! Not wanting to look like a complete Muppet by screaming "I can't possibly eat this"as I ran from the room, I gave myself a good talking to... I could do this... just don't think about those little round suckers...  I cut off a small piece and with my eyes shut popped it into my mouth.


And I have to say... it was absolutely delicious! I cleared my plate without looking at what I was eating but I can now definitely say I have eaten properly eaten octopus for the first time. I may never do it again but I've done it. Another sixty by sixty bites the dust... only three more to go.

When we were at the Festival of Quilts, Gill thought I could add 'teaching at the FOQ' and 'staying in an AirBnB' to my list as these were also firsts for me but neither really seemed too much of a challenge... not like eating an octopus! So my total still stands at 57. As always suggestions are most welcome.

26 comments:

  1. Wow Gina I would have been like you, eating it with closed eyes. Glad you enjoyed it. How about some abseiling? B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done abseiling... down into a cave in New Zealand. Not sure I should add things retrospectively 😁

      Delete
  2. I must say that seeing octopus served like that is a bit daunting. So glad it was delicious. Have you been skinny dipping yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my youth I walked into a Greek Taverna kitchen to look at the dishes, as they used to do in those days. My eyes hadn't adjusted to the dark interior properly so I just pointed at what looked like a nice stew. It was a whole heap of the tentacles, suckers and all. I was brave and ate( and enjoyed) the lot. I was alone and there were no phones to take photos, but the image is still vividly in my head. (But I still can't eat a fried egg or bacon unless I've cooked them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all those little suckers that got to me... just didn't look at it!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Not sure I could have managed that octopus!! It just proves the theory that we eat with our eyes. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you. Don't think I've ever been offered or eaten octopus but would be happy to.

    How about a reading challenge for your 60 by 60, something out of your comfort zone - if there is such a thing! I've just read the marvellous Song of Achilles and it made me think about trying something classical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend it as it was very tasty, although preferred the way I had it in Greece. I hadn't thought of a reading challenge although I don't have much patience for reading something I'm not actually enjoying. It feels like a waste of time, so I can't immediately think of something that would be both a challenge or completely new and a pleasure too.

      Delete
  6. You are amazing Gina! I am not keen on sea food and I doubt I'd be able to eat an entire tentacle, even with my eyes closed. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much more easier not looking! We definitely eat with our eyes first.

      Delete
  7. We're so lucky to have food and dietary choices. To each their own, and all that. Waving the vegan flag here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if the image offended! I love cheese far too much to go down the vegan route.

      Delete
  8. I have never had a delicious octopus so I don't even try it nowadays. I'd far rather have scallops or crab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautifully cooked and very tasty. Melt in the mouth tender too!

      Delete
  9. I think I would do a double take if presented with a plate of octopus complete with suckers, but I think I would then try it as I love squid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honoured to have witnessed one of your Sixty By Sixty experiences. I did ask if you wanted to replace it with something else but you bravely carried on. Well done! I've always loved octopus but I have to admit this one looked particularly scary with those massive tentacles :) Glad there was some gin on hand to calm our nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the sight of it that put me off but it tasted delicious. You're right, the gin helped 😁

      Delete
  11. I love octopus! It is a bit more palatable as Calamari, but I'm very fond of baby octopus too! Have you decided your 60 by 60 in advance, or do you just add to the list when you try something new?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some things were on a list of things I had always wanted to try or do , like visit Bletchley park but others just occurred to me as I went along such as visit the Sky Gjarden. Some experiences were gifts such as the skydiving and others suggested by other people like the Peterborough cathedral tour. So. It has been very fluid. I still have plenty on my list but expense is an issue... but I'll get to them eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love octopus and calamari - now renamed by granddaughter as Granny's favourite round crispy things (though I even like them when not battered and deep fried when they resemble rubber bands). I can't eat a runny egg though even with my eyes closed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pete loves hobotnica salata (octopus salad in Serbian) - octopus, oil, nice wine vinegar and pepper. Simples!
    Come and try it some time?

    ReplyDelete
  15. 60 for 60 idea: Write a book?
    I could easily imagine you writing something in a similar style to "Like water for chocolate" (which I loved).

    You could weave in stories around recipes, sewing patterns etc - just as you do in your blog - same easy engaging readable style.
    #JustAnIdea

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.