Tuesday 21 February 2017

Not a Victoria Sponge

Blog posts from me are a bit like buses... nothing for over a week and then two on consecutive days! But being the 21st of the month it is time to join in with the Cake Slice Bakers again (I'm actually a day late) where we choose a bake from a choice of four from our current book World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey. This month we had a choice  of a Red Velvet Cake... it looks pretty but I just don't like the thought of such a huge amount of food colouring, a Chocolate Cheesecake which was tempting as a dessert for our after show party on Saturday... but I was already making Brownies and mini chocolate Pavlovas and thought it better not to have three chocolate desserts (I know, silly me!), a Classic Victoria Sponge... not really much of a challenge as I make a lot of sponge cakes, and finally an Almond Tart with Honey, which sounded like a lovely dessert for the party. Before I go any further... you might now be wondering why my almond tart looks suspiciously like a Victoria Sponge. It doesn't, but I thought you might like to see a nice picture of a cake I once made before you see the tart...


I  was doing all the food for the party, so having been at work all day Thursday and Friday it meant cooking the party food on Saturday... after I'd been shopping for it! I was tired before I even started. Fortunately the Brownies were made first thing, as were the Pavlovas. I then I did some savoury dishes and bread before starting on my almond tart. The sweet pastry turned out really well and the frangipane filling looked delicious and golden when it was baked. The almond and honey topping was then made from honey, sugar, almonds and cream, boiled up together and spread on the tart before sticking it under the grill to brown. It was all going so well... then in my tired fug, as I pulled the tart from the grill... this happened...


Yes, there were tears, tantrums and possibly a swear word or two... in fact I had a melt down and looked something a bit like my crumpled almond tart. But I soon saw the funny side, took a photo and realised that at the end of the day it didn't really matter. And as we are still eating the Brownies there was obviously plenty of dessert for the party. And the moral of this story is I am not some sort of superwoman as is occasionally suggested, I need to sleep as much as the rest of you, I don't have any extra hours in my day... and when I mess up I do it big time! And just in case you were wondering... this is what it should have looked like!


So I may not have made a successful cake this month but you can at least see what the others have made:

   

   


22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to see the funny side of it...eventually. Sounds like a fun party with lots of goodies, but I'll bet your tart would have been a showpiece. The V. Sponge is pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noo! So pleased you were able to see the funny side. No wonder you were feeling tired - I have just read your earlier post. Sounds exhausting but great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was most upset about the time wasted more than anything... but not a lot of point crying!

      Delete
  3. Oops! I'm so glad you were able to laugh in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only two swear words......I think I might have managed more than that to be honest!!!
    Oh dear, I feel your frustration and tiredness...go sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see a disaster, sorry but you do such great stuff and sometimes it's nice to know you are human. Truly sorry about it all but at least your sense of humour turned up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture makes me sad and hurts my sweet loving heart a little bit. But I am glad you could see the silly side after all! There are worse things that spilled desserts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you still posted the dropped tart! Your right, it shows that every baker is human and and no matter how much experience a baker might have, Bakers have bad days too!
    I bet that tart would have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaarhhh, sometimes the fates can be so unfair. I am sure your tart would have tasted absolutely delicious. Hope you are having a slightly quieter week this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Victoria Sponge looks fantastic and I would have scraped up as much as possible of that gorgeous Almond Tart and eaten it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a shame ... all that hard work!! I feel your pain and have been in the same place far more times than I care to admit. It never fails to happen when I'm making something for company and I'm in a rush. You should have put it on a plate anyway to get the conversation started haha! Glad you were able to recover and laugh over it in the end.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the event of disaster, grab camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww. Never mind, we've all done it and in your case (I've just caught up with your previous post and feel knackered just reading it!) completely understandable. The next one will be just perfect, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no... sorry about the tart! But you are a such a sport over it!
    Your cake looks fabulous and I like the rounded shapes of the cream all around! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I might have just scraped it up and made a trifle..... but what do I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel your pain Gina. At least you can laugh about it. The question is will you try again? B x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really a great post! It shows the real life. I'm so sorry about your tart though. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you had some sleep yet? xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOOPS! Poor you. I once braked heavily with a whole lot of food for a wedding. It was not a pretty sight and I never ever enjoyed travelling with food to events after that. Much love and ongoing admiration Rocking Dog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... that is my worse nightmare when I'm delivering food. xx

      Delete
  19. I would have cried too, but thanks for hanging in there and still posting to show that it happens to the best of us. I love how you placed the cream in your sponge cake, may have to steal that idea ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.