Sunday 24 July 2016

Create Art with all your Heart

A couple weeks ago when I was teaching my Stitched Graffiti class, one of the students brought in a copy of this book - The Art of Whimsical Lettering. I don't often buy new art books these days but I liked the look of this so decided to treat myself.


It's full of some fabulous ideas for using lettering creatively... The sort of thing I can happily lose several hours over! I decided as this was my last weekend of Open Studios I wouldn't let the lack of interest in my first Open Studios weekend get me down and in a fit of enthusiasm I made a special menu of the cake and cordial available.


And then I got totally absorbed and carried away and made a wrapper for my collection tin too.


By the end of Saturday I wondered why I had bothered... Seven hours sitting around all day for just three visitors! Don't get me wrong, those three visitors were very nice and very much appreciated... But three? Really? I'd thought twelve in a day on the previous weekend was pretty poor given that in all the time I've done Open Studios I've averaged twenty five people a day. Suggestions that it might have been the weather/school holidays/Wimbledon/formula one/Tour de France etc didn't really go far to explain what was happening because Cambridge Open Studios always takes place over four weekends in July, so it always coincides with school holidays and Wimbledon etc. and in ten years I've seen every cold, hot, wet and windy weather combination you can imagine. It just felt utterly soul destroying. But I got up this morning and being a bit like Tigger, always ready to bounce back, I decided to follow my own advice...


Which was just as well, because today the house was buzzing! Visitor numbers were still lower than usual but there was a constant trail throughout the day. People stopped to chat, asked interesting questions and have booked on my classes. They sat and ate cake, talked to each other, patted the dog, gave generously to my charity box... And have even bought art! It has lifted my mood and I'm not quite ready to give up yet.


After all... I've got my new lettering obsession to keep me occupied now!

16 comments:

  1. Gina, I confess that If I had attended your open studio and seen that menu, I would have a slice of each cake. Perhaps with a glass of elderflower cordial.

    It's so hot here that I only ventured out for a very short time this afternoon after having watched the finish of Le Tour de France on television while imagining myself in Paris.

    Actually got the sketchbook out as well.

    I agree with the idea of creating art with all you heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lettering looks so cheerful, doesn't it. Glad you had a better turnout on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad the second day of our open studio day was a success after all. The lettering looks fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admired the lettering on your menu and collecting box and am glad your new book and interest has given you the lift you deserve. Get some more happy pants so you have a pair for every day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pleased that you got some interest at last, it must be so disappointing to have very few visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awe thats brilliant Gina, glad it went well for you!!!
    v x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that book too, it's such fun! I'm really glad things picked up and you had some more visitors

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun that lettering looks - so glad it restored your sense of humour, and how good that the visitors on the last day finally made the open studio worth while after all your hard work. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad numbers improved today after all your hard work. The book looks great and just may find its way onto my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a better turnout for the last weekend - and that you've used the book constructively - the results look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be really frustrating to put in all that work and have so few visitors. However, you are a bad influence, and I have bought not only your recommended book but also the stitching version as well. Can't wait as I love this kind of crafting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun from both books so it will be worth it. I like the idea of being a bad influence!

      Delete
  12. Love your lettering! I really really want to have a go so I'm going to have to buy that book. You'll soon be on commission from Amazon at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fun lettering and that book looks like it would be wonderful! I'm so happy that things picked up for you on the second day -- I'd show up just for the CAKE! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pleased to hear that Day Two picked up. Your lettering book looks very inspiring. Frosted gingerbread and elderflower for me please x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that lettering, great fun. It is disappointing when you don't get the interest you would like. We were disappointed at first with the response for our felting workshop, but at least we learnt a lot in the process

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.