Sunday 17 May 2015

Bella Italia!

This time last week we sloped off for a four day break to Venice... no embroidery, no deadlines, just art, culture, lots of walking and good food... so much good food!
 
 
It was beautiful!
We had a small apartment near the Rialto Bridge and the sun shone the whole time we were there.

 
We walked miles along canals, mostly trying to avoid the really touristy spots which were heaving with people!

 
Although we did go briefly to St. Mark's Square to visit the Doge's Palace

 
Did I say it was beautiful?

 
We took the Vaporetto out to the islands to see the glass on Murano...

 
And the glorious coloured houses on Burano.

 
We saw lots of art... some very old and some more modern... this is me outside the Guggenheim! It was also the Venice Biennale while we were there and although we didn't pay to go to into the pavillions there was contemporary art scattered in various gardens and galleries around the city.

 
On a whim we decided to go and have Bellinis at the famous Harry's Bar... let's just say we've done it once and are not likely to do it again!

 
It was small, somewhat lacking in atmosphere and the cocktails were about three times the price they should have been... although they were very good! And although I have many lovely American friends, I hate to say the bar was frequented by several very loud and brash American tourists, including the chap who announced they had just been to Rome and it was pretty much like New York really, except about 2000 years ago! I almost spat out my bellini, except at that price I wasn't going to waste it!

 
As we have a masked Venetian ball to attend at the end of this month we treated ourselves to a couple of masks from one of the lovely mask shops, where we saw them being made... yes, that scary man is my husband!

 
A lovely, relaxing four days...

 
I came back to three solid days on the sewing machine but finished the work which we took into London to the gallery today... more about that later this week. I've had a lovely day out with my Mum yesterday and another day in London to look forward to tomorrow... so lots of blog post material coming up... just no time to write it!

19 comments:

  1. Gina, thanks so much for that blog post and wonderful photos, especially those coloured houses on Burano. Brought back so many memories. I think Venice is one of my most favourite places in the world. Staying in an apartment too, you really get the feel of the place (non-touristy). We didn't go to Harry's Bar, but did spend a (very expensive, but who cared!) evening sitting in St Mark's Square, just being amazed that we were there. The Rome-New York remark is priceless! Love the masks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Venice, but it looks beautiful & romantic! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, how fabulous that you all were able to slip away to Venice. What a beautiful and romantic place that city is.

    Why is it that I've never before heard of Burano? Thank you for introducing me. (For the record, I've never been to Harry's Bar. Have to admit I don't much like the sound of the American tourists you all encountered there. What boors.)

    Here's a funny bit...while you were actually in Venice I was reading Donna Leon's newest Venetian detective story.

    Congrats on getting everything ready for London, too. I'm looking forward to your next posts...after you have a bit of catch up rest. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fabulous! Venice looks so so beautiful and I am really glad you had a great time. I had forgotten about Venice, my parents took us twice when I was a child. We went to see the glass on Murano. I remember buying little glass figurines, animals mostly. My parents bought a gigantic glass lampshade. Thanks for triggering happy memories Gina. Have a wonderful week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lucky you are, and what lovely photos of a city I will never get the chance to visit. Thanks for sharing. Ccheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your views of Venice. I love the coloured houses, very pretty. Well done getting ready for London. Hope you enjoy your exhibition. Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place. I've never been, and hadn't thought I would particularly like to, but I've changed my mind! Love the pic of you at sunset, you look very chilled and relaxed - definitely a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a string of simple white beads, twisted like barley sugar. Bought just after I left university - and delighting me with memories of Murano still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Venice looks so beautiful (it's on my ever growing bucket list). The masks are amazing (how perfect to get one from Venice for your upcoming Venetian ball!).

    I hope you enjoy your day in London tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fab. A fascinating place to go and what weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your trip sounds wonderful Gina, glad you had a good time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad the sun shine for you in Venice, it is sooooooo beautiful. What a fabulous break from routine for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Venice looks so beautiful - nice to get off the beaten track to appreciate the real essence of a place. Those Americans remind me of some very embarrassing English tourists we crossed paths with in Spain - shudder! Love those masks, though Stewart looks rather sinister in his.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely trip. Glad you had a good time. That last photo is a great one of you. Katharine

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks beautiful and sounds like a well deserved break from routine :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing trip! Those masks are particularly beautiful, and very theatrical X

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so good to see you relaxing for a change! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So agree about Harry's Bar! I thought it was such a let-down, I wondered if I was in the right place. Guess it's not the same without Hemingway!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.