Sunday 27 July 2014

Joyeux Anniversaire!

Despite the heat and melting buttercream I got the cake made and decorated on Friday, and delivered it in one piece ready for the party on Saturday afternoon. I have known Ivan for almost as long as I have lived in my village but first got to know him well when he was playing the fairy in a village pantomime. This was long before I ever trod the boards but in those days I used to paint scenery or make costumes. We were doing a variation of Jack and the Beanstalk..... called "Jock and the Beanstalk". As you might guess, the principle boy, Jock was a Scot but in our version each of the characters was a different nationality. Dame von Strapp (Jock's mother... I let you work that one out) was German, King Cornetto was Italian and Fairy Nuff was French... played by our resident Frenchman.
 
 
This was my sketch of his costume... and the results!

 
I guess all villages have their "characters" and Ivan is definitely one of ours. When he married Marie Therese (who is another wonderful "character") 12 years ago I was privilged to be asked to make the waistcoat for his wedding outfit... embroidered and appliqued in silk to a very specific design! 

 
What a fabulous couple they are! They have recently moved away from the village and will be greatly missed by so many people.

 
And so yesterday it was wonderful that they returned for a surprise party for Ivan's 80th birthday. The sun shone and we had a fabulous afternoon catching up with good friends.

 
And here is the birthday boy getting ready to blow out the candles on his cake... while we all stood around and thought there must be some mistake... this man could never be 80 years old. He is a wonderful example of how to live life to the full and enjoy every minute!

 
Oh... and I suppose you want to see the cake...

 
Bon Anniversaire Ivan!

13 comments:

  1. Gina, the cake was magnificent and much appreciated by all the happy partygoers. Your comments about the fabulous Ivan are so true: - he and his wife Marie Therese made such a great contribution to village life and will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous cake!!! Ivan sounds like a great friend so how great that you got to celebrate his birthday with him. Love the waistcoat too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I lived in your village. Love both the cake and waistcoat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks amazing! Friends are so special it is good to be able to celebrate with them

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake is fantastic Gina and I think all those who take part in your village panto - in whatever way - must have as good a time as those in the audience. So glad the sun shone for Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cake, great waistcoat and dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great cake Gina! Ivan sounds like a wonderful man -- and he certainly doesn't look 80!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cake looks fabulous - and I hope that cake is the secret of longevity - I will live to be 110 x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing cake! And sounds like an amazing couple too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous cake and magnificent waistcoat. I hope Ivan and his wife are happy in their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been away and am catching up on blogs (the last post I read here was your open studio event). So putting all comments into one here. Love the cake! Ivan & Marie look like a perfect match (did you make Marie's lovely pouf/hat?). Glad to hear you had fair success at the Open Studios event. What a busy gal you are with all the baking and entertaining! Thanks for the flower brooch tutorial, you've given me an idea for a group of ladies I'm just getting to know. And lastly, I've always thought your blog name to be so cool & love the fan image! My 16-yr old son thinks your last name is the coolest name ever ;) I would say if you're questioning the blog name, it's going to continue to nag at you until you do something about it. Go for it, you know we'll all follow you no matter what name is at the top of the page. Enjoy your week Gina! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I missed the party, cake looked great!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.