You may remember, although probably not, that quite some time ago I devised a method* of making a fabric from the net bags that fruit comes in...
and used the fabric to make a Bodice for Persephone.
I have also used the fabric to make a book jacket.
Recently in my machine embroidery class at The Settlement we have been looking at different ways of using dissolvable fabrics and have been making fruit net fabrics to cover books.
Being very predictable I have made another book jacket not too disimilar from my original sample.
Just a slightly different colour scheme!
But already my class are delighting me with their innovative interpretations of the idea. Jan is always first to finish with some beautiful work and this week was no exception with her wonderfully colourful book jacket.
And then later this week Jean sent me a photo of her fantastic book jacket which she had finished at home after the class on Tuesday. The colours are just stunning...
Especially when you consider we all started with red, yellow and orange net bags!
I can't wait to see what the others have come up with next week.
* This was published in an article on Workshop on the Web, December 2009. You need to be a subscriber to access the article.