Friday 1 June 2012

Weekend at the Abbey

With all the excitement of the exhibition and various other family stuff going on in the background this week, I almost forgot that I was going to share some of the beautiful work made by my students at Missenden Abbey last weekend.


The idea was that they would start by learning various techniques for creating textured backgrounds whilst at the same time mastering some new stitches. Then they would do some stitching onto sheer fabrics and create motifs such as flowers that could be applied to their backgrounds. My sample was intended to be a field of daisies but ended up looking like a muddy pond of waterlilies. Ah well... things don't always go to plan!


The following are just a selection of the students' work and as ever I was thrilled by the variety and standard produced over the weekend. They all worked hard with some stunning results.









Thank you Pasqua, Linda, Shirley, Fiona, Mandy, Rosemary, Jenny and Penn. I certainly had a great weekend and I hope you did too. Special thanks to Linda for sending me photos (I forgot my camera). And if you would like to have a weekend doing machine embroidery with me I'm teaching more courses later this year. You can keep up to date with what I'm teaching by signing up to my newsletter (link on the side bar). Hoping to catch up with some stuff at home today before another day in London tomorrow. Last couple of days to catch the exhibition

13 comments:

  1. Superb pieces of work and I love the colours of the background you did for your sample piece. Doesn't look muddy on my monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! I love all the flowers and your waterlilies are very pretty.
    Happy weekend,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, the sample piece looks lovely and ethereal.
    The other pieces done during the weekend are all interesting. I always amazes me that a simple exercise can be interpreted in so many ways. It is one of the joys of working with textiles.
    Enjoy your day in London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your students work looks great. I love the tea cosies and I recognise the fabric.The exhibition was fabulous so much amazing work and the telephone box looked fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work all round Gina, and although your students used the same techniques, there is variety among their pieces. Love your 'muddy pond' - the colours are beautiful, not to mention the water lilies.
    Sounds as if you are as busy as the Queen at the moment! Enjoy the weekend inspite of the weather forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the muddy pond effect, although the colours don't look muddy at all. The students work is also fabulous. Wish I was closer to get to one of your courses but I guess not to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful work Gina and I think your muddy pond is beautiful.have a lovely jubilee weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely to see how students produce such a variety of work, great results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina, Your flowers look amazing. Nothing muddy about your pond at all. I also love the work that your students have produced as well. Would have loved to have been able to the workshop.
    Your Friend
    Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work from you and your students, and I obviously missed a post - the tea cosies are fab! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its all down to the teaching.Well done all. Hope you have a good weekend. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous work - they obviously had a first class teacher! Your colours don't look a bit muddy to me. Have fun at the Jubilee party. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought water lilies when I first saw it - Monet's Nympheas! The students work is lovely - fantastic how so many different results come from the same starting point.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.