Thursday 29 July 2010

Sketchbook Project II

So you've made your spaghetti and ink drawing but you're not impressed... so now what? If, as I have, you have used regular black fountain pen ink (i.e not waterproof) then you can liven things up by taking a wet paintbrush and running it over your drawing.

And you have instant colour. This type of ink bleeds out giving beautiful shades of blue and grey. I've also added a line of yellow ink down one side to suggest shading.

If you actually dip your paintbrush into ink* rather than water to begin with then you can achieve all sorts of interesting coloured effects.

Such as this... which I think takes the fear out of making a coloured drawing. It would be good fun to repeat this exercise using some really whacky colour combinations.

Or of course you could just fill up the page with colour. Whatever you try it doesn't matter. Remember you are not trying to make perfect drawings or beautiful works of art, you are experimenting and you are trying to generate ideas... keep pushing boundaries and see what you come up with. You might surprise yourself.


*I've used Kohinoor ink palettes to add colour to these drawings - available from ArtVanGo

14 comments:

  1. Very inspirational Gina, if you could do one or two of these every day it will keep us motivated!
    And is pink whacky enough?
    I just need to find something I want to draw now x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thimbleful...

    Oooh, lovely. I shall try to make a start this afternoon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina
    I will try to follow your lead, drawing is good for your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks brilliant! The children and I bought our ink yesterday and our sketch pads today (we're all joining in) so now we just need to find the spaghetti! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the watercolour palettes but never heard of ink palettes ! Love the drawing, nearly got my sketch pad out, keep it up and I may join you yet. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. with this second sketchbook post I'm getting really tempted now, may even get a sketch book at the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Gina. I love that vibrant blue backgroud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poppy seedheads are gorgeous and I love the watery effects. I have tried to do a 5-10min sketch each day using a pen, so will try to keep that up if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - these are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, you make it look so easy! I bet it's hard to make it look as good as yours though. Also love the bunting the in your last post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love doing pen and ink drawings. You are an inspiration to give it a go again! Bravo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are gorgeous but I am sure if I tried it they wouldn't turn out quite as pretty as that :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.