Friday 22 June 2018

I'm Still Here!

I feel I'm in a time warp. It's weird, the days are long and don't feel particularly rushed but the weeks are whizzing by with so much to fit in. Blogging as ever seems to have taken the back seat. We've had a birthday, well there have actually been four family birthdays in the past three weeks but only one for which I needed to bake. Stewart opted for a cheesecake over anything else so that is what he got. Lemon and raspberry which was rather delicious since you ask!


I am acutely aware that in two weeks time my home will be open for Cambridge Open Studios once more. At least I don't have to clean and tidy up, having the house on the market has done wonders for my standard of housekeeping. And Stewart has become quite the gardener. Weeding and grass cutting a speciality.


In between various other activities I have snatched moments at my sewing machine to make some small items for sale. Of course three months ago there were grand plans for all sorts of gift items to be stitched. But  they haven't really got beyond the planning stage. The bag of forty zips I bought for making a collection of little zipped bags will have to keep for Christmas... or possibly next year. There have been a few lavender bags finished off though.


However it is next week that it will be all systems go. I have a wedding cake to cover and decorate, no. 3 son to collect from Gatwick before we all head off to Greece for no. 1 son's wedding... Gatwick again at 5.35 am! We will be back home just in time (with three additional house guests) for my first weekend of Open Studios, then a small family only civic ceremony when son no. 2 gets married,  followed by punting on the River Cam and dinner. There is a small matter of 150 cupcakes to bake and decorate before we then have a big wedding party to celebrate son no. 2's wedding. And all this before 14th July! That's not even mentioning house viewings etc.


So when my lovely friend Terry asked did I want to join another couple of ladies learning to make mosaics with her, I jumped at a chance of a day out doing something exclusively for me. It was a lovely day where we worked in the garden under the shade of a tree. Not only did I finish this rather quirky bird but I managed to use up some paua shell that I'd brought back from New Zealand six years ago. If it had been the first time I tried mosaic I might have been able to clock up another 60 x 60 but it is the third time!


The first time was when I made this very well used, hence grubby, coaster that came as a free kit with Inspirations magazine. I used to love that magazine that was always packed full of fabulous stuff to make and interviews with really interesting makers. But it disappeared years ago. My coaster however lives on!


Then many years later I met Terry at Open Studios and a bond was formed over common interests of sewing and amateur dramatics. And she very generously gave me a one to one session where I made this plaque. It wasn't that long ago but I'd forgotten everything, despite wanting to make more mosaics (I never did of course), so it was lovely to spend Wednesday learning all over again.


And once again I would like to make more mosaic... although it's not going to happen over the next couple of weeks. I fact over lunch recently Terry said she didn't want to see me blogging over the beginning of July until all weddings etc are over. She has a point, realistically I probably won't have time but I might sneak back with an odd photo or two. You'll want to see photos of our gorgeous Mamma Mia wedding won't you?

I also found time to go off and do what will probably be my final 60 x 60 (although it is actually only no. 53) yesterday afternoon as my 61st birthday falls between these two weddings. I tried Circle dancing for the first time. It was outside in a beautiful garden where we spent a couple of hours dancing gentle rhythmical dances to lovely music, celebrating the arrival of midsummer. The whole chakra, lei lines, priestess, airy fairy floaty stuff wasn't really my cup of tea so it's not an experience I will probably repeat but I did thoroughly enjoy my afternoon. I won't mention the fact that I don't seem to be able to distinguish my left from my right. The strawberry and cake afternoon tea was rather good too!

And finally, I haven't forgotten... that Festival of Quilts ticket. I did a random names in a hat type of thing and the winner was Jee... I'll email you Jane.

Have a lovely weekend and you'll know where I am if I'm not writing here!

26 comments:

  1. Awe I remember Inspirations magazine too, it was a great publication and I immediately recognised the coaster as I made it too!!
    Enjoy your weddings and your birthday and forget about the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gina. Hopefully we shall manage to meet up.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well with your activities over the next few weeks and although I will miss your updates, I understand if you are not around. Could you let us know via FB that you are blogging again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already blogged again... can't keep me away!

      Delete
  4. I'm exhausted just reading your blog! Love those lavender bags and the mosaics. That is something I always wanted to try. Good luck with all the preparations for weddings and Open Studios, not to mention house viewings - and breathe! A belated happy birthday Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow life feels not the least busy at the moment. I keep waiting for it all to kick off!

      Delete
  5. WOW, I now feel so tired I would like to go bed for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quirky little bird mosaic. I once bought a whole bag of mosaic tiles for some now forgotten project. I must look for it when I get back. Have fun at your son's weddings, and also enjoy your birthday in between! I am writing this now just in case you are too busy to blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. I have asked for some tile snips and some tiles for my birthday so I'm hoping I'll find time to do some more.

      Delete
  7. Yes! Yes! We want to see the Momma Mia Wedding pictures! And Son. No.2's too! Have a lovely time at these joyous occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW - have you managed some way to make time double??? I am incredulous at all the activities you are managing to undertake - all of them to your usual very high standard of course. Enjoy the weddings and of course we want pics - after the event when you finally have a chance to SLOW DOWN. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to spend the next three days slowing down in Greece!

      Delete
  9. Agree with everyone-you manage so much each day, and beautifully. I remember when we were selling our last house-it was so clean and tidy but didn’t really feel like home. Enjoy all the celebrations and please let us see some photos. PS The cakes look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely be sharing some photos!

      Delete
  10. Oh goodness, you've got a busy time coming up. But how wonderful it all sounds. And you've been busy already too, the mosaic is lovely, it's something that always appeals to me as well. Good luck with everything, I hope the weddings are wonderful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Gina, eclectic mix of so much diversity in your life. But it does sound ever so slightly stressful! Look forward to seeing the wedding photo's in due course. Much love and creativity x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy cake with raspberries!
    Beautiful tiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Gina so much going on. Enjoy all those special occasions !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blimey, that's some to do list. But, knowing you, it will all happen as if by magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all happen one way or another!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.