Back in the summer when I was bemaoning the lack of creativity in my life my blogging friend Lesley threw down a gauntlet and suggested that we might come up with some sort of creative challenge to kick start some activity and get the creative juices flowing. We've a bit of a history of swaps and challenges that started back in 2011 with a postcard swap. We have also exchanged books and prints in the past, both things we enjoy making and so a challenge involving a printed book seemed a good starting point.
During August we both got busy printing sheets of paper which we then made up into books.
I stuck to a palette of black, grey and green and had lots of fun printing a couple of large sheets of paper using a variety of mono printing techniques.
I then tore the sheets into smaller pages which were bound together to make a book.
I used some of the prints to cover the book too and it was a good opportunity to practise some forgotten binding methods.
Then at the begining of September I posted it off to Lesley and she now has the task of working into the book for three months before returning it to me in January.
And likewise I received a book of prints from Lesley into which I can work.
We can draw, paint, print, collage, cut and stick... anything goes with the original book providing the starting inspiration.
The strong red and black graphic pages of Lesley's book suggested urban landscapes to me and I was thinking buildings and graffiti.
But everytime I picked it up I couldn't get started... until this morning.
Out walking with the dog I was inspired by all the signs of autumn around and especially by a fabulous bush covered in rose hips. So I made a ten minute start into my sketchbook and painted this quick sketch of rose hips, which is not the least bit urban!
I've a lot to do until I send the book back to Lesley in the new year but starting is often the hardest part.
At least that is what I'm telling myself... especially as I've not started that coat yet either!