Well that's another series of GBBO almost over and I've had mixed feelings about this series. I don't think I've enjoyed it quite as much as I usually do... some funny old themes and it has taken a while to warm to some of the contestants, although I have huge admiration for all of them. It was sad to see Selasi go this week as he always made me smile but I think it was the right decision although I don't think Benjamina should have gone last week. It was a shame she just had a really bad week. But I guess that it the nature of the competition. It took me a long while to warm to Candice... that pouty mouth was just too much but I do think she is a great baker and love the way she really pushes herself. I think my money might be on her. Who do you think will win?
Of course for me, another week in the tent meant another technical challenge and this week the bakers had to make a Savarin... a sort of orangey flavoured Rum Baba. The base is a yeasted cake which starts as a very soft batter so I used my mixer again. While the dough was rising there were lots of other things to be getting on with, one of which was to make the soaking syrup... almost a whole pint of liquer flavoured sugar syrup!
The cake is baked in a very well greased bundt tin... the biggest problem is always turning out cakes in these tins as they can't be lined.
Also while it was rising I had to make caramel shards. I made my sheet of caramel and then Stewart dropped a pot on to it (he was washing up for me at the time). After a moment of panic we realised the shards were just perfect!
The cake baked beautifully... but would it turn out of the tin?
Hooray! It was then left to cool down and soak up all that syrup... something the bakers in the tent really didn't have time to do properly. Every last drop soaked into the cake!
It was then a case of assembling the cake with whipped cream and fresh fruit and a little chocolate sign... no, I would definitely not bother with this another time!
As you can see my piping skills could do with improvement!
But unlike Selasi, I did segment my oranges cutting them away from the membrane. I also used plums and golden kiwi fruit.
Luckily we were going to my step daughter's for dinner last night so we brought it along to share for pudding... but there is still loads left.
But it was rather good so I don't think it will hang around here for long!
So that is my ninth technical challenge completed and also another week joining in with Jenny from Mummy Mishaps for the Great Bloggers Bake Off 2016