Tuesday 18 February 2014

Since Last Week...

Thank you all kindly for your good wishes and as indeed "all things do pass" there was an improvement as the week went on.
  • I managed to finish off several of these embroidered button samples. I hold my hands up and say these are not my own original idea but I have made enough embroidered buttons in the past and have seen enough examples from numerous different people that I felt it would be okay to use them for a class I am teaching at Textiles in Focus in Cottenham on Friday. I would have said hurry up and book your place but fortuantely for me both classes are full. However it is still worth going to this fabulous three day show if you are are within travelling distance so maybe see you there.
  • I had a trial run of my next round of the Cambridge Bake Off which is to cook and decorate a chocolate cake of my own choosing in two and half hours in the kitchens of the Cambridge Cookery School. I managed it, just, in my own kitchen and my tasters approved ( I haven't actually tasted it myself) but I was disappointed with certain aspects... like all those darn chocolate ribbons broke! So I do feel I need a couple more trial runs... but I'm not sure I can face it...
  • Because after making the cake I came over feeling rather peculiar and then spent the next 48 hours shivering and aching in my bed trying desperately not to panic at the thought of our forthcoming pantomime... no such thing as understudies in AmDram! I was convinced I had flu. Fortunately whatever it was, came as quickly as it went... although it has left me with with no stomach for chocolate!
  •  
  • So although I was still feeling somewhat wobbly yesterday, Gill and I rearranged our trip that we were meant to have last week and we went into London to see the Isabella Blow exhibition which was far better than I had expected and worth seeing for the amazing Philip Treacy hats if nothing else, although being a huge fan of Alexander McQueen I loved the dresses too. I found the exhibition quite a moving tribute to someone who on the surface seemed to be leading a charmed life but in reality was obviously very unhappy
     
  • And now the rest of the week which is going to be dominated by our Pantomime with technical and dress rehearsals today and tomorrow and first performance on Thursday. Still feeling a tad wobbly which doesn't bode well for a week spent on these heels... Wish me luck but please don't say "break a leg"
 
I promise more photos later in the week!

24 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been ill, I hope you're on the mend now. Chocolate cake looks as fantastic as ever. I' m sure the tasters will cope with your portion. Get well soon!
    Annya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you've been ill, I hope you're on the mend now. Chocolate cake looks as fantastic as ever. I' m sure the tasters will cope with your portion. Get well soon!
    Annya

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the stitched buttons Gina and I can't imagine the cake would last 5 minutes in our house. DON'T fall off your heels and break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks delicious bet it wont last long! Hope you are now feeling better. Good luck o those heels enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you borrow those shoes from Teresa May, by any chance. Looking forward to the show! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're feeling less wobbly and would love to have a go at the button class. Totally agree about the exhibition. Loved the Treacy hats, disappointed with the McQueen dresses.I don't think there is anyone around like her now, totally unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt quite exhausted reading your post!!You are SOOOOO busy.What an interesting life you lead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes with everything this week. Your embroidery and cake look stunning ... and as for those heels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those buttons are gorgeous, the cake looks wonderful and the exhibition sounds fascinating. Hope the rehearsals go well and for goodness sake have a rest at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obviously one of those weird virus thingys, glad you 're on the mend though.
    I love the buttons, really beautiful !
    Good luck with the pantomime and the Bake Off!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous buttons, I'd have loved to do a workshop on these. As for the chocolate cake, well I know several people in my familly who'd demolish this in no time.
    Hope you feel properly well by the time the pantomime kicks off and you have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet the pantomime will be a huge success and the adrenaline will get you through. Have fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those buttons. And heels (good luck with the performances, btw). And that cake looks really really good. I'd offer to be a taster for future versions but I, too, seem to have lost the taste for chocolate. Actually, that last bit might be a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about " it will be all right on the night " instead, cake looks good too.
    So glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being left with no taste for chocolate will NEVER do -- especially if you still have to compete! I hope your chocolate wantings come back. LOVE those adorable little buttons too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jeepers Gina, you do pack a lot into your days. I am so glad that you didn't actually have flu...maybe you just did need a little rest.

    Now, on to those photographs! The embroidered buttons are gorgeous...at first I thought that they were little cakes. True!

    Your chocolate cake looks so extravagant with its ribbony wrapping. Bet that the inside was scrumptious, too.

    I read the Isabella Blow bio that her husband wrote and found it very interesting. Yes, she definitely was a troubled soul, but knew how to put on a very sunny front and did lots to help British fashion. I would love to see that exhibit.

    Your own slippers are fantastic...best wishes for a grand panto. Please do show photographs.

    Feel better...xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope all goes well - I love those buttons!! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you left some time for sleeping in that busy, busy week? Gorgeous buttons, wonderful cake, but those shoes??? I am sure the panto will go well, have fun and stay on your feet. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're feeling better, looking forward to the pantomime and so glad I'm not in it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're fully recovered soon. Glad the shivers have gone, but it's not nice for these things to linger on and on. Those buttons look fantastic, as does the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been coming back to this post at different times to check out all the links you've provided! Love the Treacy hats and I watched the videos for that and the runway show ... I'm not normally interested in the wild fashions, but since following your blog, you always provide such interesting entertainment ;) I hope your next trial runs with the cake work to your complete satisfaction ... you don't need to stress over that on top of your performance. Since you told me your stage name, I can't wait to see some photos! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. You don't do anything by half do you? That could be why you came down with a 48 hour lurgy. Perhaps your body is telling you to slow down a bit! Still, you've always be a 'doer' and I think you just have to be active so good luck with the panto and the cake. I'd love to have something that puts me off chocolate but I'm not sure I want it badly enough to have a dose of what floored you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was a special exhibition, but I think they missed a trick by not having a dressing up box full of replicas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am still catching up! I know how the Panto went, so I am obviously not doing it in the right order.

    Those buttons are gorgeous, as is your cake. I hope th baking goes/went well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.